Sustainable Transport Hub
Choose a low carbon transport option for everyday travel and reduce one of the biggest impacts we, the outdoor community, have on our climate and our planet. Get onboard!
What is the problem?
Flight as transport
Bus as transport
Car as transport
Train as transport
From Passion to Action
Help protect our winters, one trip at the time! Let’s reframe our journeys to make them part of the adventure, and choose transport options that cause the least impact to the places and the lifestyles we love. Make your next mission as green as possible, whether it is to the backcountry or the office.
Reframe the Journey with POW
Cut the CO2 emissions of your next adventure.
Get off the beaten track
- What’s influencing your choice of destination? Following the instagram hotspots or something inside of you?
- Think about what you really want from your dream vacation. Is it deep Powder, a cultural change or a comfortable stay? Chasing the experience closer to home rather than far flung destinations can lead to the trip of a lifetime. Do you really need to go to Alaska to get Powder or can you find it in the Alps?
Can you tell which of these is Alaska and which is Norway?
Slow down and stay longer
- One longer vacation produces less travel emissions than multiple shorter trips. So stay longer and explore the local area. Spending more time in one destination could mean a more authentic, memorable, and meaningful trip.
- Slow down, connect with the location. What does the landscape have to offer? Find the locals, maybe they will take you to their secret spots. Protect Our Winters is active across Europe, why not connect with the local POW community.
- Maximise time on site, leave after work on the night train, sleep, then wake up at your location.
Consider your mode of transport
- Calculate your CO2 emissions of your journey. What is the difference in CO2 emissions between taking the train and flying? Between driving alone or taking the bus? The POW science alliance approves the figures shown below as the most up to date available. Can you choose another transport option with lower emissions for the same journey?
- Make travel a part of your adventure, travel with friends new or old. A full car emits only 25% as much CO2 per person as driving alone. Do you have space in yours?
- Some CO2 emissions will remain unavoidable. You can compensate for these through a process known as “carbon offsetting”. But make sure you do everything you can to reduce your impact first.